Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Palacio Real Madrid I 2000

Have you ever dream about being in a royal palace? Have you ever thought about actually going in one? I know I have. After seeing Candida Hofer’s “Palacio Real Madrid I 2000,” I can stop dreaming now because I have just seen it. I was completely mesmerized by the color and how realistic it was. The vibrant colors of the image made everything look so real. I almost thought that I was wandering around in the palace myself.
The picture had many things in it. One of the things that I would always remember about it is the seven shiny chandeliers hanging in the room. It was so bright that I almost felt blinded by it. The chandeliers had numerous shiny pieces dangling from its sides. Even though the chandeliers weren’t lit, the light from the angle made it shine. Towards the middle of the room, there was an arc on the ceiling with engravings on it. The engravings were engraved on top of a green marble surface. The engravings were gold and took shapes of vines, emblems, and many other patterns.
Through the picture, you could also see that the room had five viewable doorways. Each of these doorways had red and gold color patterned curtains hanging above them. Both sides of the curtains were tied neatly to the pole near the wall. All of these additional aspects made the room appear more luxurious and pretty than it already was. In the middle of the room, there was a long table covered with a white cloth there. If the table was round, I would have called it King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, but unfortunately, the shape was rectangular.
There were nearly over two hundred or more chairs around the table that were tilted to the right. Some chairs were also stationed around the walls of the room. It seemed like the room was an assembly hall for the king and his subjects to discuss some big issues. I predicted it to be an assembly hall because all the chairs were tilted to the right so that the king’s subjects could clearly see him talking when he is announcing something.
Whoever designed this room had every single thing planned out. The green marble walls sent off this strong sovereign feeling, making it seemed like this place was fit for an assembly hall for a king. Moreover, there were countless paintings surrounding this room, but the work of art that stood out the most was the two large paintings that portrayed different locations in a royal palace. To finish off this beautiful room, gold children, adults, vines, emblems, and other unique patterns were engraved on the wall, making this place more pleasing to the eyes, but yet thought-provoking.
If you went to the Frye Art Museum yourself, you might mention that there are various other pictures out there that are better than this one. I know that there are many different pictures that are more striking than this, but this was the one that caught all of my attention. I think one of the main reasons I like this picture best is because of the angle it is taken at. By taking the picture at this angle, I can see the end of one table and see all of the chairs that are lined around the room.
I can see the textiles of the wooden floor. At this position, it almost feels like you can walk through the painting and enter the room. I think the photographer took this picture at this angle so he could give people that same feeling that he had given to me. This picture makes me fall into this intense and nervous mood because of what this image was holding. Since I believe that this room was used as an assembly hall in the olden days for the king and his subjects, I would be frighten to enter this room due to the fact that I might see a stern king sitting there.
I would be very scared to see him because he has the power to have my head cut off. I don’t want to say something wrong by accident and then have him tell his soldiers to take me to the guillotine. How the room was set up gave me a chilly feeling that the king will arrive quite soon. Since everything is already set in an orderly fashion, I would expect the king to come in with a group of old people in their weird looking suits with fake curly hair. The men would all take their seats and remain quiet until the king finishes talking.
One of the other main reasons that I chose this picture was because of the vibrant colors. I know Hofer has a lot of other pictures that use more colors than this one, but I like this one better because of the scenery. Even though this picture doesn’t use as much colors as some of the other pictures, all of the colors match up. They’re not just mixed around randomly. It actually has some coordination in it. All of these colors can keep you interested in this picture for a long time. If I have the chance to see this place in the picture for myself, I know I would be awe-struck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home