Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Analytical Response On The Frye Art Museum

What was my feeling when I first entered the Frye Art Museum? Well, I know I felt quite relaxed. The lighting of the museum gave me a soothing feeling that made me throw all of my worries away. It seemed like the only thing that the museum would let me do was enjoy the artwork that was displayed there and nothing else. I think the designer of this museum was really thoughtful about what they wanted the people to see when they came in. All of the little things that the designer put in there all represent something. Each little aspect has a special meaning that adds to what the designer wants the people to think.
For example, one of the things that the designer used was the dim lighting effects. The dim lights in the rooms set off a feeling of home. Lots of people at home don’t like to use bright lights because they want to relax after a long day’s work. If you have bright lights shining in your eyes all the time, it would make you feel uneasy because it would make it seem like you are being interrogated. In most workplaces, people use bright lights so that they can keep their employees working and focused all the time.
This museum uses the lighting effect to attract more people to come view the art. The extra plush chairs that are stationed around the room also help people feel more relaxed when they are in there. They set them in the middle of the room so people can sit down and enjoy the artwork at the same time. All of the paintings that they chose have vibrant colors and realistic effects. Furthermore, the artists’ know when to use rough edges and when to smooth out the paintings to make it more dazzling yet pleasing to the eyes.
The way that they painted it brings the images to life. For example, in one of the paintings, a painter portrayed a group of chickens in their coop. The artist’s uses of colors made the chickens appear real and stand out. If I didn’t know that it was a painting, I would have thought that the chickens were real. Even though the architecture of the building is quite plain, the contents inside is what intrigues me the most. The layout of the museum has many walls inside that are used for displaying paintings.
In specific areas of the museum, there are bright lights. The area of the bright lights is used for photographs instead of paintings. That area is full of Candida Hofer’s pictures. I think the designer chose to put bright lights in this section because all of Hofer’s pictures react greatly with light. The lighting enhances the picture’s look to be more flamboyant. If there were no lights, the photographs would probably look very gloomy. The designer knows how to manipulate people’s feelings by using the different shades of light.
To me, the art structure of this museum didn’t catch my attention very well. Maybe it was just the image of the art that it displayed. However, I did like seeing the pictures that were taken by Candida Hofer. All of his pictures were so full of colors. He had many pictures from palace looking places like the Palacio Real Madrid I 2000. The picture that he took there was amazing. It was nice and full of colors. He also took it at an angle that made it look like the person could walk right into the hall.
Like I said before, the lighting of that specific section enhances the pictures quality. It draws more people to it. When I first went into that area, I was so intrigued by all of the pictures because it all seemed so clear to me. I was able to see them clearly and lively. Some of the pictures had me standing there staring at it in awe. There was this one picture that caught my attention for more than five minutes. I forgot to jot down the title of it, but I do remember it was a picture of silverware and plates.
The photographer set his camera in the middle of the room and shot a picture of the table with all of the silverware and plates. He also caught the side image where you could see stands with pottery on it and reflections of the table. As for the artwork that was placed around the other side of the museum; I wasn’t really into them. I didn’t have that “feeling” when I was looking at it. I didn’t feel too drawn to it because not all of them had vibrant colors.
Most of the pictures gave me a feeling that said, “It’s just a normal picture with a girl in it, what’s so good about it?” Some of the pictures were really bizarre too. For example, one of the paintings showed a horse shed on fire. Maybe there was some sort of meaning to it, but I didn’t get it. If you ask me what kind of art I would prefer, I would probably tell you I like anime art. Anime art is a type of artwork that was discovered in Japan. It’s basically cartoon characters drawn with huge eyes and weird shades of hair.
I like this type of artwork because it is easy to draw and you don’t have to be so detailed about it. You can sketch up a drawing in like ten minutes while it takes like two days to draw something nice with pastel or paint. Anime art can be manipulated in
anyway you want. I like it because you can draw whatever you want and however you want anytime and at the end, it still looks lovely. I would prefer anime art over any other kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home